It’s true. There is a relatively new app in a genealogist’s toolkit. It’s called MemoryWeb.
Christopher and Nancy Desmond, realized that family historians needed extra features in a photo organizer so they set out to create it. They know what we need, because they are genealogists themselves.
I LOVE it! My digital photos are a mix of contemporary photos, old family pictures and scanned documents, and those images I collect for research purposes.
Here’s what I can do with MemoryWeb (and you can too):
- Add locations. If I know where an old family photo was taken I can change the location (which defaults to my address). This allows me to see my images in time and place.
- Link the back and front of a photo. No more lost captions! This is a game-changer.
- Add family details. When you add a person to a picture, you can also include a photo of them, their birthday information AND their parents info.
- It’s a family tree photo organizer too. Click on the name of the person and you can view a family group sheet of names and relationships.
- Photograph negatives then convert them to a positive. Yup! It’s possible.
- Sync to Google Drive, Dropbox, Instagram, FamilySearch, Facebook, and Flickr. You choose which ones you connect to sync automatically.
- Edit your pictures using the built-in features of crop, rotate, filter, adjustment, effect, blur & focus and tone. You can even draw on an image as an effect.
I’ve saved the best for last.
- You can share images with family and friends even if they don’t have the app.
- You can add a caption.
- The metadata stays with the image when you download your picture. Really! That’s a real thing.
I’ve been looking for a product like this for a long time. Now when I go to family gatherings I can show off my images of certain people as well as share them.
No more duplicate purchases in my research collection because I can search by the details in the image.
I hope you’ll give it a test drive. I doubt you’ll be disappointed. When registering mention Photo Detective to get a special test period plus you’ll be supporting my podcast. Click this link to save 30%
With several thousand pictures in my app it’s going to take some time to tag and caption everything, but I know it’s worth the effort.
Disclaimer: If you happen to purchase a product I recommend I may receive affiliate compensation. I only suggest products that I use and believe in.