Frequently Asked Questions

Here are questions I’m commonly asked. (Click on a question to get the answer.) If you have a question and don’t see it featured on this page please submit it through my Ask Maureen page.

Maureen actually has three different scanners, all which are designed to safely scan historical photographs. For her office, she has an Epson v500 flatbed scanner that sits on her desk within easy reach and it provides very high resolution for a very reasonable price. She also has another Epson that fits in a small rolling suitcase for visiting clients. For longer distance travel, she has a Flip-pal scanner which fits in her carry-on bag.

Archival is not an industry standard term. All it means is a product is used in an archive or library. Look for specific terminology such as acid and lignin free, non-pvc or polyester plastic. Also look for products that have passed the Photographic Activity Test (PAT), a sign that a product is safe to use with photographs.

You should look for acid and lignin-free and non-PVC plastics when shopping for envelopes, mounting papers, storage boxes and other items. Sources for these types of products are:

Daguerreotype Ambrotype Tintype Cartes de Visite
Has a mirror-like surface. Negative image on glass that appears as a positive image. Negtive image on iron that appears as a positive image. Albumin or carbon prints; use of photo-chemicals on paper.
Must be held at an angle to see the image. Backed with a dark background. Fixed on a black metal background. Mounted on thin paper.
Typically found in a case. Typically found in a case. Can be mounted in a case or on paper. Occasionally found in a case.
Image is reversed. Image is not reversed. Images is reversed. Image is not reversed.
First appeared in 1839. First appeared in 1854. First appeared in 1856. Process first introduced in America in 1859.